Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 02, 2010

My Birthday....

My birthday is tomorrow, Oct. 3--the best day in history. I know of a couple people who agree. On October 3, my parents had their first child, their only daughter and I have been a constant joy ever since, (just ask them!) My grandparents (both sets) were blessed with their first grandchild, thus making me the favorite for the rest of my life.
My Grandpa Tes used to tell me that I was the only one who could say certain things to him. Those of you who knew him, know that he didn't always take a joke directed at him very well--but I for some reason could get away with making smart-aleck remarks.
On a great October 3 while I was in high school my amazing cousin, Ellie, was born. It is a very special thing to share a birthday with a child. We had horse themed birthdays, and Dorah, and many more.
My favorite would have had to been last year. Ellies parents and her siblings and my parents and Zack and Shane all came together in Moscow. Early in the afternoon Shane and I had lunch with his parents (Dennis and Terry) and my parents (Jon and Teresa.) This was the first time they had met, and it was a lot of fun. Shane and I both agreed that they seemed to get a long well (which was nice--we got engaged a couple weeks later.) After lunch time we hung out together for a couple hours and then Ellies family and my family came together in the house I was living in last Fall for a BBQ dinner, lots of birthday cake, and a little tailgating for those of us who were old enough. We all loaded into the cars and headed to the Vandal Football game. We wont that game, which was awesome, but the best part of it was having everyone come together once again for the birthday celebration.
Many people believe that farmers are only busy 3 months of the year. That farmers just twiddle their thumbs and stare at each other after harvest. This my friends, is not true. It is weird how you have to take care of the soil, fertilize the land, plant seeds and work on equipment so it is always ready to use. This for me means that farm work is not even close to being done.
Not only will this be the first time in 9 years that I am not with my parents or Ellie and her family to celebrate my birthday, it will be the first time I'm married. This is the first time in a long time that I have actually felt a birthday.
I feel old. Should I feel old? Another thing is that Shane has been working long days (11-13 hour days) I am not sure if he has time to even remember that it is my birthday tomorrow. So, I am going into tomorrow with no expectations. We will wait and see--keep your fingers crossed. If nothing happens, I can do my best to be understanding towards him. He loves farming and it does require long days--we signed up for that together. I knew going into it what was required and expected.
Till tomorrow!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Marie. Cute granddaughters can wrap old grandpas around their little finger. I am not surprised that Tess so dearly loved his first granddaughter. You should know about long hours growing up in a farming community and having a teacher for a mother. Classroom teachers often put in 12 hour days, too. Have a great birthday. You are only as old as you act. You just may be a little sorer for a few days after not acting your age is all.

    ReplyDelete