Total Pageviews

Friday, October 15, 2010

Give Moose A Break....


My favorite road sign that I have seen so far in Alaska has been the "Give Moose A Break" Yesterday I had quite the day before the day even got started for me! I went out bright and early to warm up my car because it was frosted over and I had high school visits in Wasilla and Palmer, AK. I got out there and my car was dead.
I asked the front desk and everyone in the hotel breakfast area if anyone had jumper cables. Everyone I encountered had a rental or a work vehicle and had none. But, once again, everyone was so nice. I walked through the lobby and over heard a gentleman re-asking the front desk for me! The front desk called a cab company who came and did it. The gentleman who had re-asked the front desk for me (he was about my dad's age) actually went outside with me when the cabbie came to make sure that he was legit and didn't kidnap me or anything! It was so nice of him!
Anyways, I paid the nice cab driver and got on my merry way to Wasilla. I pulled into Wasilla, turned my car off to grab a water and a coffee at a gas station and got back to my car and it was dead again! Ridiculous I thought to myself! I jumped out and went into the gas station, they luckily had jumper cables. I found someone to jump my car and when we got back to my car it was locked....WITH THE KEYS INSIDE IT. Not only were my keys inside it, but also my cell and wallet. I had nothing but my coat.
So I went back into the gas station and they called a cab company. I was about in tears!
The cab company got there and tried to start working on my car. The woman was kind of struggling with it and a guy filling up his car with gas came over to try to help. While he was working on it a competing driver came by and started to try to help. 10 minutes later he was in. No one would take any money for getting me into my car or jump starting my car! EVERYONE WAS SO NICE!
I went on to have spectacular visits--and was so ahead of schedule that even with all the drama of the morning wasn't late to any visits! Every student that I talked to knew someone who had or is going to University of Idaho and UI was in many of these students top three. The counselors were all very welcoming and allowed students to be pulled out of class and asked me to come back again soon to visit! It all turned into a great day--mostly due to the amazingly nice people that I met in Wasilla. THANK YOU TO THESE PEOPLE AGAIN!
Now...today (Friday) it hit me, that maybe the second time my car was "dead" it actually wasn't. I remembered later on, that I had a hard time turning the engine over when the guy hooked the battery pack up to it. He jumped in and said, "Well you need it in Park, honey" I had acidently turned off the car with it in gear. I drive a manual so I usually coast into a spot and pull the brake. So, maybe if I had checked that I would have never gotten into my second mess. I still haven't figured out the locked out, but I have turned the car manual inside out and found the pin access code for the keyless entery on the door.
Hopefully I will have no more car trouble for the rest of my trip. I find it funny now, but yesterday if anyone gave me a hard time about it I would have cried. It was stressful and not a very fun way to start a trip. Those of you who know me wont be surprised by this story at all :)


1 comment:

  1. I love it when nice people show themselves :). Alaska's full of super nice people...here's to a life full of no more car troubles!

    Cyndee ><>

    ReplyDelete